By the end of this session, students will be able to:
· Explain the nature of the market revolution and its importance to economic growth after 1815.
· Discuss the revolution in transportation and its impact on the economy.
· Describe the role of the Supreme Court in promoting economic growth and investment.
· Describe the rise of factories and the changing lives of workers in this period.
· Describe the impact of the market revolution on American society.
Read Chapter 9 in American: Past and Present by Robert Divine and view the chapter 9 PowerPoint.
Helpful Web sites:
A. Read Chapter 9 in American: Past and Present by Robert Divine and answer the following questions.
1. What were the major foreign policy objectives of the United States between 1815 and 1824?
2. In what ways did the transportation revolution contribute to the development of a national market economy in the United States between 1815 and 1840?
3. How would you characterize American policies and actions toward Native Americans between 1815 and 1830?
4. How did the Supreme Court under John Marshall’s leadership enhance the growth nationalism and strong federal government?
5. What was the cause of the rise of Nationalism?
B. Read the hyper-linked article and respond to one of the questions.
-Did Whitney teach the South haw to make Slavery profitable?
-Describe how Slavery was an impediment to Southern economic development.
C. Political Cartoons:
Temperance societies were very common in the early 19th century. Reform movements to achieve a more “perfect society” were one of the chief characteristics of the early 19th century. Efforts to educate the masses on the evils of the consumption of alcohol were a major faction of the reform movement.
Click here for the cartoon. (Steps.jpg on attch)
What is the message of this cartoon?