Planning Your Visit Guidelines
Graded Assignment 2
The purpose of this assignment is to: (a) identify and articulate a plan for a legislative/policymaking visit (CO #2); (b) deliver a message and ask/recommendations (CO #2, 3), and (c) communicate ideas in a clear, succinct, and scholarly manner. (CO #3)
This assignment enables the student to meet the following course outcomes:
(CO #2) Employ strategies to affect the development, implementation, and consequences of policies at the institutional, local, national, and international levels. (PO 4, 8, 10)
(CO #3) Communicate with policymakers to advocate for effective policies that affect nurses and nursing, consumers, or the health care system. (PO 2, 3,10)
(CO #4) Analyze the historical, ethical, and political contexts of health care policy and the consequences of policy implementation. (PO 6, 10)
(CO #5) Advocate for institutional, local, national, and international policies that influence health care and its consumers and nurses and their nursing practice. (PO 2, 10)
Due Date: Sunday 11:59 p.m. MT at the end of Week 5
Total Points: 175 points
Assignment Criteria for Presentation
1. Introduce your chosen policy issue, the current status, and an overview of your plan for a legislative visit.
2. Articulate key strategies involved in your plan, message, and recommendations under each of the Planning Your Visit Ungraded Worksheet 2 sections using headings in your paper.
3. Provide an analysis of empirical evidence supporting your approach strategies including plan, message, and follow-up.
4. Provide specific examples of the impact and/or importance of a successful visit and follow-up to nursing.
5. Provide concluding statements summarizing the content.
6. Paper will be five (5) pages, excluding title and reference pages, and in APA format 6th edition.
Preparing the Paper
Following completion of Planning Your Visit Ungraded Worksheet 2, develop a plan for visiting your policymaker, including the message/ask, and the recommendation(s) you will deliver. Include a minimum of five (5) classic references or current references (published within the past 5 years) that support your plan, the message, recommendations, and follow-up.
|Introduction and Conclusion||35||20||Introduction clearly introduces your policy-priority issue. Concluding statements summarize content.|
|Key Strategies||40||22||Articulate key strategies involved in your plan, message, and recommendations under each of the Planning Your Visit Ungraded Worksheet 2 sections using headings in your paper.|
|Empirical Evidence||35||20||Provide an analysis of empirical evidence supporting your approach strategies including plan, message, and follow-up.|
|Specific Examples||35||20||Provide specific examples of the impact and/or importance of a successful visit and follow-up to nursing.|
|APA Format||15||9||Text, title page, and references are consistent with APA format 6th edition.|
|Writing Quality||15||9||Rules of grammar, word usage, sentence and paragraph format, and punctuation are followed. Paper length appropriate.|