Module Code: MBA685 1 Module Title: Corporate Strategy 2 Module Leader Dr Leonidas Efthymiou 3 Content The syllabus will typically include:
1. Models of the firm and strategic interaction. price, quantity and time-based competition.
2. Industry and company analysis. tools and techniques to analyse the macroenvironment, industries, and firms.
3. Strategic approaches. positioning, resource-based, value innovation.
4. Running a business. running a simulated business.
12 Learning and Teaching Learning will be achieved through the use of various pedagogical tools such as: • powerpoint slides and on-line seminars and tutorials • teaching materials in video and audio VLE platform • required text book in electronic format and other recommended readings • case studies 13 Intended Learning Outcomes By the end of this module, students will be expected at threshold level to:
(1) Participate effectively as a member of the management team in developing or running a business
(2) Critically appraise the models of strategic interaction and inter-firm
(3) Comprehensively understand the major tools of strategic analysis at macroenvironmental, industry and company level
(4) Critically evaluate in depth three of the major trends in business strategy: positioning, resource-based and innovation-based.
14 Module Assessment The learner will be assessed on 1 assignment. Digital video calls will also be used to complement the assessment and to determine the extent to which the learner has mastered the learning outcomes. It is vital that the learner participates in online discussions and tutorials, however this will not be assessed for the final grade. The approximate time required for the learner to complete the assignment is 6 weeks 15 Learning Resources Books Essential reading: CHECK FOR YOUR EBOOK(S) IN THE VLE
Grant, M. (2010) Contemporary Strategy Analysis (7th Edition). West Sussex,
John Wiley & Sons.
Jones, G. & Hill C. (2009) Strategic Management Essentials (2nd Edition).
Nashville: South-Western, Cengage Learning.
Lasserr, P. (2007) Global Strategic Management (2nd Edition). Hampshire,
Lynch, R. (2009) Strategic Management (5th Edition). Essex: Prentice Hall.
Pearce, J. & Robinson, R. (2008) Strategic Management: Formulation,
Implementation, and Control (11th Edition). New York: McGraw-Hill Irwin.
Thompson, A., Gamble, J. & Strickland, A, (2010) Crafting and Executing
Strategy the Quest for Competitive Advantage: Concepts and Cases New
York: McGraw Hill
Leavey, B. & McKiernan, P. (2008) Strategic Leadership: Governance and
Renewal, Hampshire: Palgrave Macmillan
Business Week*: http://www.businessweek.com
Financial Times*: http://www.ft.com
Harvard Business Review: http://hbr.org/
The Economist*: http://www.economist.com/
*demo subscriptions usually run for a week for free.